Have you ever suffered from a migraine attack? Unlike the typical headache that you may experience, migraine attacks are much more severe and can last for as long as 3 days. They can also be difficult to treat using standard over-the-counter drugs. Research suggests that CBD oil may be a potential treatment for migraines. In this article, we will be investigating the use of CBD oil for migraines and whether it helps relieve the symptoms of a migraine attack.
What Are Migraines?
A migraine is a condition characterized by intense throbbing pain on one side of your head. It can be hereditary, and diagnosis is carried out based on the patient’s family and clinical history. Women are more prone to suffering from migraines than men.
Some of the symptoms of a migraine attack include:
- Speech difficulties
- Temporary loss of vision
Most people also experience a series of symptoms before the migraine attack. These include depression, fatigue, and stiffness in the neck, irritability, and food cravings. Migraine attacks tend to subside after 4 hours. However, if left untreated, they can last for 3 days or a week.
Some of the standard treatment methods for migraines include:
- Taking over-the-counter drugs and prescription medicine such as triptans
- Maintaining a regular sleep cycle
- Avoiding foods that cause migraine attacks
- Exercising and doing yoga to promote muscle relaxation
Using CBD Oil for Migraines
CBD or Cannabidiol is a cannabinoid found in hemp or marijuana. It can help in reducing pain, inflammation, anxiety, and stress. It can also help in mood regulation. CBD’s medicinal properties make it useful for pain management and the treatment of mood disorders. You don’t have to worry about getting high when you use CBD oil, as well. Unlike THC (another cannabinoid found in marijuana or hemp), CBD does not have a psychoactive effect and is safe to use.
Currently, there is a limited amount of research available on the use of CBD oil for migraines.
- A 2017 study examined the efficacy of CBD oil for treating migraines. 48 participants were involved. In the first stage of the study, participants suffering from chronic migraines took less than 100 mg of CBD. This did not produce the desired effect. However, when the researchers increased the dosage to 200 mg, pain levels were reduced by 55%.
- A 2018 study investigated the use of medicinal marijuana for treating migraines, arthritis, and chronic pain. Patients were treated using cannabis. Previously they were using opiates, anti-depressants, NSAIDs, and other prescription medication for treating their condition. As per the results of the study, 42% to 60% of patients chose to substitute their prescription medication with medicinal marijuana for treating migraines.
- Another study also evaluated the use of medicinal marijuana for reducing the frequency of migraine attacks. According to the results, at least 40% of participants reported experiencing fewer migraines. This indicates that medicinal marijuana or CBD can also be used for the long-term treatment of migraines and improve the overall quality of life.
Are There Any Risks to Using CBD Oil?
There are no significant risks to taking CBD oil for migraines. The body tends to tolerate it pretty well. However, in some cases, you may experience the following side-effects:
- Dry mouth
If you take other medication, such as blood thinners or antibiotics, then make sure you consult a physician before using CBD oil. CBD can interact with these medicines to produce adverse side-effects.
You also need to check the purity of the product you are using. In many cases, these products do not contain the amount of CBD indicated on the label. Buying from a state-regulated CBD supplier that uses organically-derived CBD can resolve this problem.
There are several ways to use CBD oil for treating migraines. You can:
- Apply it topically over the affected area
- Ingest it directly or after mixing it in a beverage
- Vape it
All these methods can help reduce the pain associated with a migraine attack. However, if you are suffering from a severe migraine and need fast relief, then you can try vaping CBD oil. This is primarily because inhaling the oil can enable faster absorption into your bloodstream.
According to the research available, CBD oil appears to be a promising form of alternative treatment for migraine attacks. Currently, there is no recommended dosage for using CBD oil for migraines. You can consult your doctor for more information regarding this. We also suggest looking for a reliable CBD supplier that offers organically-produced CBD products. Make sure the products are laboratory tested, as well.